You've Got a Friend


Every dog I know loves to go for a walk except for mine.  He likes the idea in theory, gets excited about the concept, but when it comes down to actually leaving the house he propels into a full fledge mode of “It’s not gonna happen!”  This past Sunday I took him on a longer walk around the bend to the lake in the picture above.  He likes to walk out by the dock and sit on the swing together, but getting him there is a whole different story.  Upon arrival at his daily turnaround point, which is the last mailbox before the bend, he sat down and refused to go one step further.  He appeared scared and it was clear he was not voluntarily continuing beyond his official turnaround mailbox. 

Isn’t that a lot like life?  God’s trying to bring us on a journey but we are fearful to step beyond our comfort zone.  We’re too stubborn, or perhaps afraid, to take one more step.  We let fear win and turn around at the mailbox, only to miss out on the walk around the lake.  We miss out on the joy and happiness that awaits us if we just go a bit further.  We don’t trust in the one leading.  We don’t believe they’ll protect us and not lead us astray.  We want to retreat to our own home, back to what we know, and back to what feels safe. 

What are we missing out on in life?  Is God trying to lead you in a new direction in your career, a different place to live, or a new exciting change?   Is God trying to lead you down the path of a healthier life?  Is the fear of the unknown causing you to sit down at the mailbox and retreat to your comfort zone with comfort food?

I pick up Oliver into my arms and kiss him on the head.  I love on him so he feels safe and secure.  We continue to walk as I carry him.  When I feel him relax I put him down and we continued to walk together, making it to the lake.  Oliver is excited to see where we are and walks a bit faster.  Isn’t that a lot like God?  If we surrender to His guidance, He will take us to amazing places in life.  If we get too scared to take one more step, He’ll pick us up and carry us. 

I intentionally didn’t bring my phone on this walk.  I wanted a peaceful break from the constant input of information and noise.  Sometimes God places a scripture on my heart but on this day, it was a song.  Oliver and I are circling the lake and I could hear Carole King singing, “You’ve got a Friend.” 

I couldn’t help but think of what happened just a day prior to this walk.  Dan and I were in Saint Augustine, Florida, walking all over the historic area making our way to the Cathedral Basilica.  The majestic pillars, golden statues, and murals covering the walls and ceiling are something to see.  I could hear chanting monk music softly playing upon entering. I felt like I was stepping back in time. It was breathtakingly beautiful and I couldn’t help but notice the juxtaposition of this church compared to our little humble church, The Church of the Cross, in South Carolina.  Our church has one single wooden cross above the alter and there’s not one statue in site.  Both churches are equally beautiful in their own way. 


I lit a candle in this fancy jeweled church and said a prayer.  My prayer started out so official and formal, given my surroundings, it seemed required.  I stopped and realized this isn’t me talking.  What the heck was I talking about?  Jesus is my friend. I need to talk to Him, pray to Him, like how I would talk to a friend.  He doesn’t care about fancy.  He cares about a pure heart.  Instead of, “Please thou Lord, help thee in thy - blah blah blah…”  I stopped myself and started over.  I broke down and said, “Hi, it’s me.  Ok, listen, I need your help again.  Here’s the deal.  I don’t know what to do.  Please help me.  Thank you.” 

“So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God 
because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends with God. 
~ Romans 5:11

Praying to God is talking to a friend.  It doesn’t have to be big fancy words and memorized poetic prose.  Simply speak your truth directly from your heart.  Just call on His name and you know wherever He is, He’ll come running.  All you have to do is call and He’ll be there.  Yes, He will.  You’ve got a friend.



You've Got a Friend ~ Carole King

When you're down and troubled
And you need some love and care
And nothing, nothing is going right
Close your eyes and think of me
And soon I will be there
To brighten up even your darkest night

You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running, to see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there
You've got a friend

If the sky above you
Grows dark and full of clouds
And that old north wind begins to blow
Keep your head together
And call my name out loud
Soon you'll hear me knocking at your door

You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running, running, yeah, yeah, to see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there, yes, I will

Now, ain't…
Now, ain't it good to know that you've got a friend
When people can be so cold?
They'll hurt you, yes, and desert you
And take your soul if you let them, oh, but don't you let them

You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running, running, yeah, yeah, to see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there, yes, I will
You've got a friend
You've got a friend

Ain't it good to know you've got a friend?
Ain't it good to know, ain't it good to know, ain't it good to know
You've got a friend?
Oh yeah now, you've got a friend
Yeah baby, you've got a friend
Oh yeah, you've got a friend




Results for the week: +1.5 lbs lost; Total Lost: 40.0
D.O.W. = 504; Starting weight: 182.0; Current weight: 142.0
(Days on the Wagon = Days of food sobriety - no sugar pig-outs!) 

Comments

Popular Posts