Keep it Simple


There’s a beautiful cathedral in downtown Phoenix, called Saint Mary’s Basilica, I would periodically visit in moments of spiritual, emotional, and life crisis when I lived there years ago.  I really don’t know why that particular church brought me such comfort in those critical moments of life.  I never really attended a church on a long term regular basis while living in Arizona, and rarely a Catholic church, but there was something about this place.  Perhaps it was the cathedral pillars, majestic archways, the breathtakingly beautiful murals, and the larger than life statues that brought some sort of odd familiarity upon my heart.  I would sneak away from work over lunch, briefly pop in to light a candle, and say a prayer.  The door was always unlocked and I usually was alone. Except one day, the very last time I went there, I certainly was not alone.

This specific day I was in inner turmoil over the decision to accept a job offer in Seattle and move.  The job was a great promotion and a wonderful opportunity.  Dan was onboard for the move, already scouting jobs for himself.  I, on the other hand, was scared to death.   This particular church visit required additional time to sit in my sacred space and ponder what to do.  I usually felt better after my ritual of lighting a candle and saying a prayer, but this time it wasn’t working.  I decided to just sit in one of the pews, all alone, in the silence of this place.  I didn’t know what else to do.  Suddenly the doors opened and people started to flood in.  Apparently there was a midday service I was unaware of.  I started to grab my purse to leave, but for some reason decided to just stay.

The service progressed quickly and the priest was giving his sermon.  I really don’t know what the theme was, or what he was talking about.  Honestly, I wasn’t really paying attention for my thoughts were racing.  I was just sitting there thinking about my inner struggle with this major life decision.  All of a sudden, and I’m not making this up, my whole vision turned blurry as if there was a cloud of mist everywhere surrounding the priest standing up behind the pulpit.  There were no tears swelling in my eyes for my crying spell had passed.  I blinked several times, glanced away and glanced back, yet it was still the same foggy vision.  I wondered if I was having some sort of emotional stressed induced radical blindness I saw on an episode of 20/20.  That’s when the miracle happened.  Suddenly, just the priest came into clear focus.  The lighted glow of mist and the luminescent blur surrounded him, but he was vividly clear.  I will never in my life forget the words he then spoke.  “No matter where you go, God is with you, and it’s all going to be okay.”  Then the misty fog instantly vanished and my vision returned to normal.  I sat there in shock.  What just happened?  I knew the answer to my prayer, we moved, and clearly it all was okay.  Often the answers to our problems are simpler then we realize. 

Catherine Doherty said, “With God, every moment is the moment of beginning again.”  I thought about the Phoenix church miracle moment several times this week.  I’m in the process of working on several life changes and holding on to God’s promises.  I’m certain I’m not alone.  Life is full of changes.  They are scary but I think all we need is to hold the simple belief that no matter where you go, God is with you, and it’s all going to be okay. It’s really that simple.  We have a way of making our adult problems so complex.  1 John 3:1 says to see how very much our Father loves us, for he calls us his children, and that is what we are. “How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!” All we really need is to have faith like that of a child.  Could it really be that simple? 


If there's one thing I've learned about little kids is that they never forget a promise you make to them.  If I say I’m going to do something to a child, I’ll do it because they simply expect you to.  They don’t expect you to let them down.  They take you at your word and will hold you accountable.  When my nephew Gavin came to visit me, a few summers ago, we set out to Target to buy a pay-doh dentist toy.  Unfortunately they were out, so I made him a promise I would order one for him on Amazon, and send it to his home.  We never talked about it the rest of his visit and when they left I ordered one for him.  A few days later his Mom said they drove into the driveway and Gavin let out a scream of excitement.  She made a comment wondering what was in the box but Gavin explained that it was their new play-doh toy that Aunt Sandy promised.  He never questioned, he knew a promise is a promise.  A pinky-swear means everything and they automatically expect you to keep your word.  I didn’t want to let him down.  I made a promise.  God’s like that with us. 
The Bible says our faith in God needs to be like that of a small child.  Why do we so often assume God won’t keep His promise?  Why do we question it?  Why do we allow doubt, fear, anxiety, and worry to rob us of our joy and faith in God?  Adults often let down children by forgetting the promises they make, and maybe you were let down as a child, but God is faithful to His, all the time!  Like a good parent, God loves us and has our best interest in mind, so don’t get discouraged when things don’t always go the way you want or expect them to. I know I’ve questioned Him in my moments of cathedral candle lighting crisis prayers, but He’s never let me down.  Never! 
I know I’ve let Him down before, I guess like all kids do to their parents at some point.  I was riddled with guilt early this week.  Sometimes we may say something thoughtless and stupid without thinking how it may be received by someone else.  I am guilty of this from just this past week with a poor attempt at a joke.  I unknowingly hurt someone’s feelings and it tore me up inside when they shared with me of how they felt.  Having faith like a child is knowing that others will forgive you and holding on to the promise that God is quick to forgive.  How beautiful that is.
A few days after this happened I was driving into work in the morning.  It was very early, cold, and still dark outside.  I was driving my way through the parking lot and turned off my radio trying to prepare myself mentally for the day ahead.  Out of nowhere, a song pops into my mind, and for some reason I started to softly slowly sing out loud in my car.  “Oh happy day… oh happy day… when Jesus washed all my sins away… oh happy day.”  I start to feel my throat tighten and tears swell in my eyes.  I feel happy.  I feel joyful.  I feel a washing of peace come over me.  I decide to make this a new daily ritual for every morning.  I pull into the parking lot, turn off the radio, and sing this song to myself as a reminder every day.  Have the faith of a child. 
Children believe in magic, they believe in miracles, they believe in the unseen, and they believe in love.  They believe dreams come true.  They believe they can do, or be anything they want.  Choose to live a life filled with wonder, amazement, and childlike faith!  I hold onto my faith that God’s promises for my life are coming.  This week I start to let go of the worry and fear of new changes in order to believe like a child.  He’s given me a promise and I stand on it.  I believe it and now I wait for His perfect timing to receive it. 
He said someday you’re going to soar like an eagle
You will run and never grow tired
You'll become a new creation
If you just keep the faith of a child
Keep the faith of a child

~Bill Miller

We are God’s children.  He’s our Father.  He’s our Dad.  I want to live in that feeling of jumping off the edge, knowing your Dad’s there to catch you.  I want to rest in that complete warm surrender of encompassed safety and love, like when you fell asleep in the backseat of the car when your Dad is driving the family home from Grandma’s house on a summer Sunday evening.  There’s no need to look further than sweet Aurora to learn how to have faith like a child. She’s the little five year old daughter of dear friends of mine.  I hear stories of this precious little girl and I’m reminded of God’s unconditional love for us.  Her favorite book is a children’s Bible and she often asks for her bedtime story to be from that book.  Her father posted this beautiful picture of her.  Aurora saw the sun shining through the trees in their backyard.  She excitedly exclaimed that she just had to stop what she was doing and go outside to say “Hi” to her Jesus because she loves Him so much.  This picture captures the unconditional pure love flowing down on her outstretched arms surrendering to His love.  No matter where you go, God is with you, and it’s all going to be okay.  It’s that simple. 
  

Results for the week:  - 0.2 lbs lost; Total Lost: 40.4

D.O.W. = 301

Starting weight:  182.0; Current weight: 141.6

Comments

Popular Posts