Saturday Night Singer


Saturday night is date night at the Wade house.  Last Saturday Dan and I went to a quaint local seafood restaurant in our little town that happened to have live entertainment.  A one man band with an acoustic guitar sang beautiful songs while we dined.  It was nice.  We were just finishing our meal when he was done singing for the evening.  There were only a few people at another table so it was like an intimate private concert.  We started to talk to the singer while he was packing up his gear.  He ended up sharing with us that 22 years ago he walked inside our same church where God saved him from a 26 year cocaine addiction.  He’s now 22 years drug free.  It was an incredible story and testimony.

That night while driving home, Dan asked, “Why would a stranger share with us something so personal like this from his past?  Why would you air your dirty laundry in public like that to someone you just met?”  We talked about how this proves that everyone’s got something.  You never know what someone else has gone through, what they are currently going through or the secrets they may have about their past.  You just never know.

Alcoholics Anonymous has the saying, “You're only as sick as your secrets." One of the hallmarks of alcoholism is deception so they should know.  Addicts deceive others to cover up their addiction and they deceive themselves to deny they have one.  This could explain why people I know in recovery are rigorously open and honest, like our Saturday night singer.  Any habit of deception risks reopening that door to addiction.  I am convinced food is addictive and that I’m a food addict.   Published research shows the addictive nature of sugar has the same impact on your brain as cocaine.  I believe this is true and feel that my number of “days on the wagon” represents my own type of sobriety.  That’s why this week my focus is on the power of secrets in how it relates to healing and the recovery process. 

Secrets are harmful to relationships and health.  Little white lies quickly grow into big lies that betray trust, ruin relationships and drive destructive cycles.  This inner turmoil often causes us to compartmentalize our lives, live in denial and become out of touch with our true selves.  Pulitzer Prize winner Fredrick Buecher says, “We are our secrets.  When we become our secrets we run the risk of losing our authentic selves and replacing it with an edited version.”  Harboring deep secrets causes chronic stress and hurts our health.  Anita Kelly, a doctor of psychology at University of Notre Dame, conducted extensive research on the impact of secrets.  Her research concluded, “Self-concealers do show more stress, anxiety and depression as well as overall body aches and pains.  Secretive people tend to be sick people.” 

I don’t believe in order to live a truly authentic life you have to share all secrets but I do believe that concealing some truths is like swallowing a slow acting poison.  Your insides gradually rot. Secrets we need to let out are the ones that cause us to act in a way that causes us harm…like grazing through the kitchen, never feeling full becoming obese.  We all have secrets, some are frivolous but some are much deeper than that.  Some of us have secrets that have stigma, guilt and shame attached to them that we bury deep inside.  Based on statistics there are readers of this blog, right now, who have dealt with depression, addiction, suicidal thoughts or some type of abuse.  We bury these secrets so deep inside that sometimes we forget we have them.  But they show up in other ways like dysfunctional relationships or addictions to numb the pain.  

It wasn’t a secret I was overweight when I launched this blog.  That was clearly visible from the outside but our secrets live on the inside.  I kept it a secret for years how I felt about myself and my weight while eating in secret feeling ashamed.  Launching this blog was a healing secret reveal for me.  I immediately felt lighter by sharing my issues with food and how I felt about myself.  Secrets make us feel alone.  Now I can talk openly about my struggles and it feels good.  I talk about what is wrong instead of shoving the problem down with food.  Dan recently made a comment that he feels we’re even closer in sharing this journey together.  I don’t feel like I’m pretending anymore.  The mask is removed.  I’m not perfect.  I have flaws.  I have struggles.  But most of all, I am not alone.  The truth shall set us free.  Secrets hold power but releasing them is taking back our power.

Twenty eight years ago I hid a secret.  It caused me to become depressed and hurt relationships around me.  I experienced a date rape situation in my early 20's.  I don’t write this now as a big “I’ve got a secret” reveal but to share that I kept it a secret from everybody at that time out of guilt and shame.  I suffered from depression because of it and just couldn’t get my life together during the phase I now refer to as my “train wreck years.”  I eventually reached out for help.  Sharing my secret and getting the help I needed was one of the single most important turning points in my life.  The healing process from this gave me a true relationship with God and that changed everything!  I am who I am today because of it and that’s why I never will say I am a victim of what happened.  I am a victor. 

I believe there are three truths in revealing secrets.  


1. Courage:  
It takes courage to be vulnerable, to be naked in telling your secret.  It’s hard but every time you share it you feel lighter and freer. 

2. Perception:  
You have to look at things differently.  What happened to you happened to you.  What you did you did.  You won’t be able to remove it somehow and magically clean the slate. The hardest things we go through can become our greatest teacher.  I’ve learned that people can look really put together on the outside and not be so put together on the inside.  Everyone has a story, everyone has a secret.  
 
3. Healing:   
When we share ourselves, when we share our secret, we heal ourselves and we heal other people.  You are able to move forward in a new way.  When you get to a place that you can learn from it,  you heal from it and it becomes a beautiful thing. 

I pray for our Saturday night singer and for all readers who right now may have a secret they are hiding.  I pray that this may help you share what you need to share with a trusted friend or family member.  The desire to heal has to be greater than your fear.  Be a voice, not a victim. There are two kinds of secrets, those we keep from others and those we hide from ourselves.  Rick Warren says, “Hiding your hurt only intensifies it.  Problems grow in the dark and become bigger and bigger, but when exposed to the light of truth, they shrink.  You are only as sick as your secrets.  So take off your mask, stop pretending you’re perfect, and walk into freedom.”  




Results for the week:  -1.6 lbs lost; Total Lost:26.4

D.O.W. = 112 (Days on Wagon)

Starting weight:  182.0; Current weight: 155.6

 

Comments

Karen Jackson said…
Thank you so much for posting this blog. I know that God can and will fix us if we let Him. I have struggled with my weight all my life. I have twin nieces that are 2 months older than me. They were always small when we were growing up and I compared myself to them all the time as far as weight goes. It caused me to be so self-conscience that I was always on some kind of diet all through high school. My health suffered for it and I have been diabetic for30 years. It wasn't till I had to start on insulin in May that I really let myself say I AM REALLY DIABETIC and I have to get control. I realized that God is the one that needs to be in control,not me. I have lost 12 lbs. and my a1c went from 9.3 to 6.3 since then. I am not where I need to be, but I am a lot better off than I was. It is my daily hope to return God to the center of my life. All the rest will fall in place. Thanks again for your blog.
Sandy Wade said…
Thank you for posting! Karen, I have no doubt that you are on the right path. Realizing we have a problem is the first step and when God is the one driving the recovery train there's only one direction it can go! You have made amazing progress already and I am very happy for you! I've learned that every little victory adds up as long as I'm marching in the right direction. Don't give up, Karen! You got this! I will pray for you on your continued journey... you are not alone.
Rosemary730 said…
Your sharing has really moved me. You are indeed a Victor.
Blessings, dear Sandy

Popular Posts